Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Camp Sky and Homestay Wrap-Up

I. Camp Sky
Every year, after school ends, first-year education volunteers run a two-week long camp called Camp Sky (yes, next year it'll be our turn). The campers are from schools where PCVs are stationed. Each PCV gets to recommend 2 students, a boy and ag irl (usually from form III) from their school to go to this camp.This year the camp was held a Mulunguzi Government school, a beautiful, almost college-like walled off campus with classrooms that are stocked, electricity, a computer lab, running water, dormitories, sports fields, a theater in the cafeteria - sigh - I was quite envious. Zomba (which is where the school is located) is also a beautiful place with a great big mountains and pretty greenery - there were mango trees and bougainvillea and these magnificent trees with orange red blossoms that are called flamers. I had a great time at the camp too - the students there are the best and brightest, it was great talking to them. I was also very happy to meet other volunteers, it was good to get their advice too, particularly on what to do when I first get to site, what should I not do, etc.
I also sat in on some of the classes at the camp - mostly biology, but also fun electives, like peanut butter making and ballroom dancing, where I learned to waltz, tango, and swing dance. (And my goodness, how is ballroom dancing with Malawian students for something you think would never happen in Malawi).
I. Homestay wrap up
After coming back from Zomba and Camp Sky, we had two days more to spend with our families in the village before moving out. Some of this time we had an environment volunteer, Wiz, talk to us about community assessment and gardening. I painted a picture of the view from my doorstep, took more pictures than I had in the past month, gave chocolate to the kids, was thrilled that Achimwene (my brother) had proposed to his girlfriend and she accepted - so I may have a wedding to attend next August. To Amayi I also gave a bracelet, and a picture frame - I told her that I'd have to come back to visit to give her a picture of us together to put in that picture frame... I can probably get a digital phot printed somewhere in Lilongwe. I will miss my Amayi, she certainly took good care of me.

No comments: